Throughout the year, Woodbrooke offers a range of courses and retreats at the historic Swarthmoor Hall in the Lake District.
Learn and reflect in a historic Quaker setting:
Woodbrooke’s experienced tutors and retreat leaders offer opportunities for you to:
- Nurture your experience of the spirit.
- Deepen your understanding of Quaker tradition and theology.
- Explore contemporary Quaker insights and practice.
Situated in Ulverston, Cumbria, Swarthmoor Hall is the ‘hidden gem of Furness’. It was the home of Margaret Fell, the ‘mother of Quakerism’, and became the powerhouse and cradle of the early Quaker movement.
During your stay, you can explore its historic rooms, relax in its tranquil garden or take advantage of its proximity to bay and fells.
Comfortable, homely and quiet:
- Recently refurbished.
- Ensuite bedrooms available.
- In-house catering with vegetarian menu.
- Special diets catered for on request.
- Many visitors note its timeless air of peace and tranquillity.
How to book
Getting to Swarthmoor Hall
Swarthmoor is easily reached by coach to Ulverston, or by car via Junction 36 of the M6 and the A590.
Ulverston is 45 minutes by train from Lancaster, which can be reached directly from London Euston or Glasgow.