Stuart Masters is a member of Woodbrooke’s Learning and Research Team. He is the Programme Coordinator for history, theology and Bible study. Before coming to Woodbrooke, he worked in the social housing sector for 23 years. His book, The Rule of Christ: Themes in the Theology of James Nayler, was published in June 2021 as part of the Brill Quaker Research Perspectives series. His research and teaching focuses on Quaker spirituality and theology, eco-theology, and the relationship between Quakerism and other Christian traditions. Stuart is the West Midlands Regional Representative for the Anabaptist Mennonite Network, the Quaker representative on the Churches Together in Britain and Ireland Interfaith Theology Advisory Group, and a member of the Advisory Council for the American Journal, Quaker Religious Thought.
- Responding to Ecological Crisis: Quaker Spiritual Insights (Birmingham: Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre, 2021).
- The Rule of Christ: Themes in the Theology of James Nayler (Leiden: Brill, 2021).
- “A Glimpse of Heaven on Earth: The First Quaker Communities” in The Friends Journal, June 2021.
- “Atonement in Early Quakerism: The Work of Christ in the Writings of James Nayler” in Quaker Studies, Volume 25, Issue 1, (2020).
- “The Spirit of Christ and the Renewal of the Creation: James Nayler’s Eco-Theology” in Friends Quarterly, Issue 1 (2020).
- “The Sword, Separation and Nonviolence in Early Quakerism: The Testimony of James Nayler (1618–1660)” in Anabaptism Today, Volume 1, Number 2, (2019).
- “The Radical Political and Economic Vision of James Nayler” in Friends Quarterly, Issue 4 (2018).
- “Ancient and Modern: Exploring the Links Between Eastern Orthodox and Quaker Spirituality” in Friends Quarterly, Issue 2 (2018)
- “Guided by the Light, Living God’s Justice: The Theological and Spiritual Writings of John Punshon” in Quaker Studies, Volume 22, Issue 2, (2017).
- “Show Us Our Darkness and Lead Us to New Life: Reflections and Queries in the Context of Ecological Crisis” in Friends Quarterly, Issue 2 (2017).
- “The Early Quaker Movement: Pauline Christianity Revived” in Friends Quarterly, Issue 2 (2016).
- “Abraham’s Offspring, Heirs According to the Promise: Quakers and Jews” in Friends Quarterly, Issue 4 (2015).
- “The Transformative Power of God: The Cross in Quaker Faith and Practice” in Friends Quarterly, Issue 2 (2014).
Recent Blog Posts:
- A Reflection on the Meaning of Deification (Theosis) – The Thinking Faith Project (November 2021).