My research focuses on historical and chronological interaction between the politico-legal system of the USA and the Amish. The enquiry explores the power dynamic between the State and religious minorities.
USA, Amish, religious minority, First Amendment, Fourteenth Amendment
About Frédérique Green (Mrs)
- qualitative research with semi-structured interviews;
- archive research in Elizabethtown College PA-USA
- archive research Penn State University PA-USA
John Hostetler and Donald Kraybill, both leading authorities on the Amish groups in the 2nd half of the twentieth century, have extensively studied the Amish with a sociologist approach. Regarding the Amish relationship with the State they mostly approached this area from the Amish perspective. I am looking at this particular relationship mostly from the American Government and authorities’ perspective but analysing the Amish view point as well. My long-standing passion for researching the Amish groups and for law and justice coalesce into my project to make an original contribution to Amish studies.
Find out more
Email address: email@example.com
Papers presented at conferences:
- “‘Cell phones and computers’: research across two ethnic religious minorities, the Amish and the ultra-Orthodox Jews”, Amish America: Plain Technology in a Cyber World conference, The Young Center Elizabethtown University, Elizabethtown, PA/USA, June 6-8, 2013
- “The American politico-legal system and the Amish between 1963 and 2013”, Continuity and Change: 50 Years of Amish Society Conference, The Young Center Elizabethtown University, Elizabethtown, PA/USA, June 9-11, 2016
- “The United States v. the Amish minority: the protection of minority religious rights in a ‘secular’ land”, Ninth International Conference on Religion & Spirituality in Society, University of Granada – Granada- Spain – 25-26 April 2019
- “When the “world’s” law and ethics clash with Amish religious freedom: an exploration, using medical case studies, of the nature and significance of this tension”, Health and Well-Being in Amish Society: A Multidisciplinary Conference, Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA, USA – June 6-8, 2019