This one-year part-time programme is an opportunity for young adult Friends to develop their knowledge and understanding of the Quaker faith and its history, as well as to develop practical skills for the workplace and everyday life.
If you are aged between 19 and 30, then Woodbrooke’s Young Adult Leadership Programme (YALP) may be for you!
The programme will involve two residential stays at Woodbrooke, and another at Swarthmoor Hall in Cumbria – a great opportunity to meet like-minded YAFs and share experiences. Sessions will be taught using a variety of interactive and engaging methods including discussions, worship sharing, art, online materials, forums and journalling, as well as formal teaching sessions.
First residential: 12 July – 22 July 2018
Midyear residential at Swarthmoor Hall: tbc
Final residential: 30 June – 7 July 2019
If you are interested – or know someone else at your Meeting or in your family who may be – please contact Michael Eccles
What will I gain from taking part and what is covered?
- A greater understanding of Quaker history, Quaker processes and what it is like to be a Quaker today.
- Increased involvement in your Quaker community through creating a support network.
- A deepening of your personal spiritual practices.
- An opportunity to develop skills for the professional, voluntary and spiritual aspects of your life.
- Leadership and facilitation skills.
The fee in 2018-19 is £1,900.
Please don’t let this put you off, there are lots of bursary options, please contact Michael Eccles for more information.
Applications for YALP are now closed.
Applications for the 2018-19 programme will open shortly.
We ask you to apply by answering the following questions or giving us the following information.
- Your contact details and date of birth.
- Why do you want to come on the Young Adult Leadership Programme?
- Please tell us a little bit about yourself: faith background, your experience of leadership and something you are passionate about.
- If you already have an idea for your project, please mention it. (See page 4 of the YALP leaflet to find more about the project)
- Who is your supporting Quaker organisation?
You can answer the questions above in one of the following ways:
Online (use the form below).
In writing – up to two sides of A4.
Audio or video – maximum of 10 minutes.
In addition to this, we ask you to send a letter from your supporting Quaker organisation acknowledging and supporting your application, and a £20 deposit. The deposit will be refunded if we are unable to offer you a place. If there is a problem providing these, or if you or your supporting organisation would like more details about its role, please get in touch with Michael Eccles. Applications to the programme close on 9 June. We will inform all applicants shortly afterwards if their application has been successful.
Please send your application to the Young Adult Programmes Co-ordinator at Woodbrooke, Michael Eccles.
Email it to: email@example.com or post it to:
Michael Eccles, Woodbrooke, 1046 Bristol Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, B29 6LJ